Wednesday 10 November 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 10 - Cookbook Challenge Week Part III


It's day three of my cookbook challenge & the first pick of the day was Vegan With a Vengeance again!

The random number generator threw page 130 at me - Pizza Sauce. Well this left me with a bit of a dilemma as of course you can't JUST make pizza sauce. I don't know if this is cheating (but they are my rules & I've decided it isn't!) but I've picked recipe #2 today by myself & it's the Pizza Base recipe also from Vegan With a Vengeance. I've decided this counts as a challenge because I've never actually made my own pizza base before...

...in fact I still haven't. I got an IUD fitted today & they weren't lying when they said it was gunna hurt, I spent most of today in bed with a hot water bottle and a Gilmore Girls DVD! Thankfully Mr VeganInBrighton took the day off work to look after me & was happy to take on today's cooking challenge.

Yay for Mr VeganInBrighton, I knew I married him for a reason!



I was in bed during the sauce & dough making but the newly vegan & not used to cooking Mr VeganInBrighton assured me that the recipe was easy to follow, Isa's essay on how to make dough was really helpful & it all came together really fast. The sauce on it's own was really delicious although he did reduce the salt by 1/4 teaspoon as we don't often use the amount of salt called for in recipes.

Here he is saucing up the pizza base.

Our pizza pre-oven...

...the whole pizza's covered in Super Melting Edam Style Cheezly & Redwoods Ham Style Slices. My half also has 1/4 mushrooms & 1/4 pineapple.

Here's the beauty post oven...

...and on my plate!


This was some awesome pizza & Mr VeganInBrighton enjoyed making it so much that I think we're going to invest in a pizza stone so that we can make even better pizzas.

Something else exciting that happened today was that the box of goodies I ordered from Vegan Store arrived.


I got two Go Max Go Twilight bars (ready to make deep fried 'mars' bars!), some Lazy Day Foods Iced Fruit Cake Slices, a new milk chocolate style bar from Moo Free & some UK made vegan marshmallows. Yum!

I'll be back in the kitchen tomorrow for more surprise cooking fun but for now I'm going to have a good lie down on the sofa with my awesome husband!

26 comments:

  1. Hooray for Mr VeganInBrighton cooking when you weren't feeling well, I hope it is all better! I heard that it is way cheaper to get ceramic tiles or pizza screens instead of pizza stones so you might want to research your options before you take the plunge. They are expensive! My mom loves hers though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw so nice of him and that pizza looks awesome...pizza isnt pizza without pineapple (at least for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. pizza looks amazing and so does your vegan goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your feeling better now, Jojo! That pizza looks delicious and that must have been wonderful to have someone make it for you! I love this post.
    And those goodies from Vegan Store look so good! I'll have to go see whether they ship to the Netherlands...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look great. Feel better, Jojo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! What a killer Pez collection...

    I'm enjoying your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for the Mr! :D That pizza look amazing.
    I hope that you feel tip top tomorrow!
    Also, hooray for Gilmore Girls, love that show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for the Mister! The pizza looks fantastic. Hope you are feeling better now. Thundercats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. VWAV is a classic! And that pizza looks gorgeous, especially the mushrooms! We don't eat a lot of those in our house because Logan hates their metaphorical guts, so I crave them...so juicy...oh, fungus.

    And I started using a pizza stone last month, it changed my world! You totally must get one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pizza dough recipe is permanently ingrained in my brain, we make it so often. Love it. And your pizzas look so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet husband you have! I hope you're feeling better, that is not fun at all! Also, love your pez dispenser collection so much!
    VWAV is still one of my favourite cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so good! How awesome he made it himself.

    The cheese melted so well. I love pineapple on pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you feel better soon! I know this is about food and all, but I also had an IUD fitted recently, so I can commiserate. I haven't had any of the horror story side effects that I read about, but I wasn't immediately back to 100%, either.

    Anyway. That pizza looks sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let us know what the treats are like; I'm super excited about the iced fruit slices, and want to try the chocolate with the hamster on the front!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ((Feel better))
    Nick is AWSEOME! You make sure you tell him from me.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mr VeganInBrighton = the best! how super sweet of him to take over the cookbook challenge while you took care of yourself and rested up. kick ass! we reduce the salt in all the recipes we make as well - growing up my mom did the same thing and there are times when i have sent food back in restaurants because they're just too darn salty. i can't handle it. ah ha ha! your pizza looks awesome - and now i have a craving for one. also - what a glorious collection of pez dispensers. made me smile seeing them behind your super scrumptious pizza! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great pizza!

    I *love* Go Max Go bars. I'm partial to the Mahalos. At least I think that's what they're called. Enjoy your treats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pizza looks great! And that Cheezly is calling my name. I love love love all your Pez dispensers! Also, your husband is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this pizza looks amazing!!! and the twilight bar....i am OBSESSED with Go Max Go...especially the Mahalo bars...i'm such a bad vegan when I eat them, I always feel a little bad...hope your feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE Twilight bar! They made other great bars that mimic Snickers and Milky Way and other non-vegan chocolate bars.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mm.. I love cheezly pizzas but using Edam over Mozza is just WRONG!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holy crap, that pizza looks SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gauri Radha गौरी राधा20 November 2010 at 18:16

    That vegan pizza looks terrific :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mr VeganinBrighton get the hubby of the month award for sure. I love that he was willing to dig right in to the challenge. He did an incredible job on the pizzas and my tummy is growling.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!